We here in The High Desert are placed right in between Los Angeles and Las Vegas thanks to Interstate 15. Most residents will tell you that they are not that interested in the goings-on of those two metro areas. They will tell you that living here you will find a quieter, slower pace and a more affordable lifestyle. Yes it’s true that when we want some serious retail therapy or a bigger choice of entertainment, we turn towards L.A. or Vegas. But it does not take too long before the excesses of the bright lights and big cities have us heading for home.
It seems for most people that grew up here whether in Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville, etc. that these communities still retain that small town feel and it’s not uncommon to bump into an old friend or even a former school teacher while you’re out and about. On the subject of being out and about, most anyone from The High Desert will readily share with you their stories about The Cajon Pass (in between The San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains). It is true that not all of them will be happy ones but if you compare the cost of living in Los Angeles, San Bernardino or Riverside Counties along with what you might pay in rent “Down the Hill” you will find that you can get a 3-bedroom house on a half-acre up here and still have money in your pocket. It makes the extra effort worth every mile.
So, everyone has their favorite places for food and just to hang out. Tammy and I are no different and so here is a short list of some of those places, we hope they become your favorites too (if they aren’t already):
• The Galley Fish Tacos– 12218 Apple Valley Rd #105, Apple Valley/12748 Amargosa Rd #7, Victorville
• Las Brisas Restaurant– 21919 CA Hwy 18, Apple Valley
• Samurai Sushi– 14464 7th Street, Victorville
• Spice of India– 15751 Main St, Hesperia
• Desert Barn Brewery– 11352 Hesperia Rd, Hesperia
• Off The Grid Brewery– 13615 John Glenn Rd, Apple Valley
• Tonyan Coffee Rosters– 13528 Nomwaket Rd Suite B, Apple Valley
• Jess Ranch Market Place- 18989 Bear Valley Rd, Apple Valley
If hiking is your thing, there are plenty of great trails in the area and here are just a few of them:
• Juniper Flats, Apple Valley Foothills
• Deep Creek, Hesperia
• Jamajab Point, Silverwood Lake area
• Rainbow Basin, Barstow